The Great Hall
Food Handlers Liscense The Great Hall: Food Handlers Liscense
By Rc_fleming (Rc_fleming) on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 03:18 am: Edit

\indent I was just flipping through a job ad magizine that had an ad for an executive chef with the requirement the chef had to have a food handlers license. This got me thinking and left me with serveral questions...
1. What do you have to do to get such a liscense? Is a state, fed, or local thing? Also are there different levels and types of food handling or similar liscenes/permits?
2. How much of hiring plus is it to have one? Is one required at certain positions?

By TEXAS on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 10:43 am: Edit

In Tx it is required to have at at least one registered Food Landler at all times. The owners and managers are required to have it and sani-serve also.
This is a 16 hour course that covers just about everything it can in that time frame. There is a 30-40 question exam at the end that must be passed. There is also a sani-serve exam. There is a required 8 hour follow-up course every 2? or 3? yrs. The licence must be carried and the certificate posted in food establishment along with a Health Department Permit.
I don't require it for emp[loyment and pay for cooks to take it, but do not pay for supervisors or managers to take it. Actually I probably would not hire a manager that dosen't have one.

By Cheftim (Cheftim) on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 11:45 pm: Edit

The food handlers permit or license is similar to the Serve-Safe program here in CA.

Some States/Municipalities require all food handlers to take a sanitation course and test, some one person per shift or like CA one per establishment.

More and more haccp training is requiered.


By Chris on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 10:18 am: Edit

Take the foodservice sanitation course. You'll learn a lot and it's one of the three required courses for ACF certifiication should you take that route. GET THE OWNER OF YOUR RESTURANT TO PAY FOR IT!!!

By owner on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 02:42 pm: Edit

your culinary education, your magazines, etc.

By Grwall (Grwall) on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 05:49 pm: Edit

re owner

a tad testy no? The food handlers permit is something that people in your business *require* in order to be in business. Further, you don't even want to consider what happens to said business if your name hits the papers connected with an outbreak of food borne illness.

IMHO, any upper-level (say line cooks and above) should have education in this area and it is in your best interest to be sure they do. This isn't for their benefit. Its for yours!


By owner on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 07:16 pm: Edit

I would say that Chris was a little demanding.
If you run an organized kitchen with all SOP's in place and stress sanitation the..opps I just looked up at your post and see that you consider line cooks as upper level. I certainly agree that it is in the best interest of the employer to send these folks to classes. I beleive I mentioned managers would not be compensated for this class- 2 days pay + course price. Maybe if someone is from out of state where it is not required.

By Chris on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 08:45 am: Edit

Every resturant I've worked in over the last ten years has paid for or offered to pay for the foodservice sanitation course and CPR certification. These have all been in CO and maybe it's different in other states. The owners were covering their asses and that is a good thing with today's sue happy society. By the way most have paid for magazines and some tools.

By peachcreek on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 12:39 pm: Edit

At our restaurant, any worker who wants to take the State sanitation course is PAID REGULAR HOURLY WAGES TO ATTEND, AS WELL AS THE COURSE FEE. It is a great benefit to everyone. Its worth it.

By The Baker on Tuesday, May 22, 2001 - 07:10 pm: Edit

Well Here in New york City
they dont accept any certification from anybody but theres.
you must have theres to supervise in a kitchen or somebody must have it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.