The Great Hall
American Employment Opportunities The Great Hall: American Employment Opportunities
By Hallgate (Hallgate) on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 03:56 pm: Edit

Hi There,
My name is Paul Lee an Executive Chef here in England.
I posted a couple of years ago about the possibility of coming to work and live over in The States.
Since then I have been very busy over here, but now I am in a much stronger position to finaly try to come an work in America.
Does anyone have any relevent information available or suggestions for me in order to attain my desire to re locate and bring my culinary skills to The USA.
A full C.V is of course available upon request.
I look forward to reading any replies that may be of assistance.
Thank you in advance of your help

Paul E Lee

By Chefspike (Chefspike) on Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 01:47 am: Edit

I could be wrong but I don't think theres a lot of jobs here right now.
Look at the job listings on this site.
Or in the papers for cities, listed on the web.
Or contact some American hotels and see if there are any openings.
or hell, just show up like so many do...........
your English, it's not like they will kick you out.

By Hallgate (Hallgate) on Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 07:02 am: Edit

Chef Spike thanks for your reply
One point, what do you mean they wont kick me out I am looking to live full time in America and by property and of course when my initial Visa runs out I will have to return to the UK.

Best Regards

Paul E Lee

By Chefgbs (Chefgbs) on Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 08:04 am: Edit

I think Spike is referring to the fact that you are from a country that speaks English and not on the list of countries that supports terrorism. We're funny about that here.

By Chefspike (Chefspike) on Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 10:30 am: Edit

yea, and with extentions, you can stretch it out for years. Keep looking for that hotel chain, and have them sponcer you, then your in like flint.

By Sarah2002 (Sarah2002) on Saturday, August 03, 2002 - 10:44 pm: Edit

Hi Paul,

I'm from the U.K. and I'm currently living here on a work visa . In order for you to work here, (legally) you need a H1B visa, which lasts for 3 years. To get one, you need to be sponsored by an employer here. They have to prove that you need to be brought in/an american isn't available to do the job/ you have specialist skills. Proving that (a letter from your employer, your qualifications etc.), isn't that difficult, just have to be creative with what you call 'specialist'.

What's more difficult, is getting an american employer to bother doing this for you, unless you truely are in a 'specialized' niche, and they need to import you. It also costs them about $2.5k which doesn't help your case. After all it's just exta expense and paperwork for them.

Perhaps your best bet is to seek employment with International Companies (hotel chains etc.) who regularly move people around the world. You can find a list of them at the American Embassy in London.

You can set up your own business here (but you have to invest a large chunk of change) and get a visa through that.

As for buying property here, you don't need to be American do that! You just need the cash.

Hope this helps.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.