|By Flattop (Flattop) on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 11:14 pm: Edit|
I'm going to take my advanced wine course next spring. It was suggested that if I do well in it that I test for sommelier. Know I like the idea but is it gonna be worth it($500 for the test) for my career? I’d be willing to do wine tasting for cash on the side but would it help me in the long run?
|By Steve9389 (Steve9389) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 08:32 am: Edit|
A wine and spirits class is the one thing my school doesn't offer that I wish it did. My sense is it's one of those things you can live without, but it's knowledge you'd be glad to have if you did have it.
|By Chefmanny (Chefmanny) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 08:41 am: Edit|
It can't hurt!
Other important things to know about spirits in the kitchen:
1. Learn to use your tongs to open beer bottles!!!
2. Drink beer or other alcoholic beverage from a SS pitcher, keep another SS pitcher full of soda nearby, in case undesireables come by, at that point you quickly pick up the pitcher with the alcoholic beverage and move it or just hold it until the undesireables leave the area!!!
3. Learn to open beer bottles with the spine or bolster of a knife!!!
4. Always keep the liquor bottles in a cooler, you have to make less trips to the ice machine!!!
5. Don't believe those stories that knives and booze don't mix, they go hand in hand in the kitchen, lliterally!!!!
Those are the fine points of spirits in the kitchen that you won't get in any official course curriculum!!!!!
|By Steve9389 (Steve9389) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 09:17 am: Edit|
Manny, when I grow up I want to be you.
The restaurant where I work is a brewpub, and they make great beer. We've been known to pour a full pitcher of stout to make our brewmaster's vinaigrette. Since it only takes a half a pitcher to make a batch, we've got to do something with the other half.
|By Chefmanny (Chefmanny) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 09:31 am: Edit|
Thanks Steve, luckily my wife never looks at these boards! That's all she needs to hear! She thinks one of me is enough and I have a nine year old that is a clone of me, sarcasm and everything!
Drives her crazy!!!!!