The Great Hall
How do you use this tool? The Great Hall: How do you use this tool?
By Chefjoannam (Chefjoannam) on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 08:27 pm: Edit

A client handed me this tool:

click for photo

and asked me what it did.

I have never owned anything like that, although I'd seen them around. I found a description online, but it's lacking in detail:

"21425 - Garnisher. Chrome plated, particularly durable, with 7 uses: 1.Decorates stripes in butter, cakes, etc. 2. Butter roller 3. Crown top lifter 4.5. Cuts carrots and celery in decorative waveslices 6. Can punch 7. Shapes balls out of butter or melon."

Have any of you ever used such a tool? None of the edges seem to be particularly sharp, so I think it would mash the crap out of a piece of celery or a carrot, insted of slice it.

Is this thingy a useful tool?

The knife I use for crinkle cuts when it's not worth busting out with the mandoline looks like
this ... but it has a wavy blade on both sides.

By Cookingfresh (Cookingfresh) on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 08:51 am: Edit

It looks more like kitchen decor than a workable tool. More form than function.

By Tamsin (Tamsin) on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 02:56 am: Edit

I looks like something that is meant to do everything, but really does nothing and will sit in the bottom of your draw until one day someone goes to clean them out and wonders what the hell it is.

By Chefmanny (Chefmanny) on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 02:46 pm: Edit

That looks like the gun the little Martian on Bugs Bunny used. (I can't remember the name of the character or the gun)!

By Foodpump (Foodpump) on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 09:07 am: Edit

Naw,that's a busboy's tool. Waaay back when, the busboys would have to scoop out balls and curls of butter...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.