The New Bakers Dozen
Brandy wells?

The The Bakers Dozen: Brandy wells?
By Dominique on Wednesday, November 01, 2000 - 01:17 am: Edit

A woman asked me the other day what the purpose of a 'brandy well' is in some cake plates. I've never heard of this before.. any ideas?

By W.DeBord on Wednesday, November 01, 2000 - 09:05 am: Edit

My guess refers to the dip in the center of many glass platters. I thought they were a result created from how the glass maker needs to attach the foot on the bottom of the tray.????

Some cakes like kentucky butter cake have a liquid poured over them (meant to be absorbed into the cake) and this "well" is handy to catch the excess run off of liquid.

My best guess....

By Dominique (Dominique) on Monday, November 13, 2000 - 06:51 pm: Edit

Hi.. thanks.. that's sort of what i was thinking too, like for a bundt cake, I guess.. but then she told me that the plate was square....
Go figure. *shrug
Dominique :)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.

See Forum in a Frame