The New Bakers Dozen
the best type of pump for blown sugar work?

The The Bakers Dozen: the best type of pump for blown sugar work?
By Kelley (Kelley) on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 12:23 pm: Edit

I've decided to invest in my own set of tools for sugar work and am wondering about the differences between the two types of pumps, i.e. - the bulb/hose with wooden blowing tube, versus the double bulb/aluminum blowing tube type. My experience thus far has been with the former (and less expensive) setup, but can any of you give me your opinions on working with the bulb/metal tube? It seems like the blown piece would be easier to remove, but does the tube stay very hot while working the sugar? I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions - also have been looking at various brands (Fabilo, Matfer) so any ideas there would be helpful as well...TIA

By Doucefrance (Doucefrance) on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 07:46 am: Edit

I personnaly prefer the metal tube, that's what we use in France.
It is easy to work with and to clean up. I never had any special heat problem.

By Pastrycrew (Pastrycrew) on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 01:22 pm: Edit

I only recently purchased a fabilio pump. It's just a bulb with a metal tube coming from it. Usually I just use whatever is available at work.

The last place I worked, a friend gave me a few 2 inch pieces of copper tubing he had cut and I just used these to slip into the rubber tubing of the pump since it had long lost its own metal tip.

Several people I have worked with use a, heh, I don't even know the name, but it's the bulb they have attached to the pads they take your blood pressure with. Evidentally these are cheap and can be purchased (just the bulb and tube) at most medical supply stores.
Well that's my two cents. I would just recommend buying the cheapest possible thing you can and seeing if its something you wanna pursue.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.

See Forum in a Frame