The New Bakers Dozen
Pulled Sugar Box

The The Bakers Dozen: Pulled Sugar Box
By Pchef1 (Pchef1) on Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 11:15 pm: Edit

Does anyone know where I can get a fairley inexpensive plexiglass sugar box...for pulling sugar?

By Corey (Corey) on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 10:27 pm: Edit


By Sam (Sam) on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 10:34 pm: Edit

you can make your own, get sheets of plexiglass from a home store & probably they will cut to size, seal the closed sides w/ high temp sealant & place over a heat lamp carving for me.....sam sears, cec

By Chefspike (Chefspike) on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 11:14 pm: Edit

sounds like drooped sugar box.
how come ya can't just pull the sugar, then cut it to size then fit those sizes together?
just asking. just asking.
like nougatine.
or why don't you just use poured sugar in a frame?

By Pastrycrew (Pastrycrew) on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 11:55 pm: Edit


Sam has the right idea i think on this one. if you are just using this once in a while, and are up for the project, try making one. a friend of mine just made one here on maui for 40 bucks - and materials are pretty high here.

if yer trying to buy one, jb prince may have the lower price there was one site i saw as well:
they are all pretty pricey.

good luck in your search! i'm sure you'll come up with something better than what i use...a cardboard box surrounding a carving lamp!


By Sam (Sam) on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 06:03 pm: Edit

dear spike, I thought pchef1 was looking for a piece of equipment to hold pulled sugar at the proper pulling temp,while the items are fabricated such as flowers, ribbons, ect; instead of a box made from pulled sugar.....and pouring sugar into a frame is called "cast" sugar or "casting sugar", it doesn't have to be held, since you just cook the sugar, tint or flavor if you wish while still liquid & pour into the cast molds or frames....sam

By Chefspike (Chefspike) on Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 01:17 am: Edit

i wasen't being a prick, just didn't know what the hell you guys were talking about.
i've never heard of that box thing.
guess i'm behind the times, or didn't get taught that one. lol.

By Sam (Sam) on Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 07:50 pm: Edit

didn't think you were being a prick, I truly thought that mayby you thought pchef1 was referring to a "pulled sugar box" vs. a piece of equipment used for pulling sugar....sam

By Chefmanny (Chefmanny) on Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 09:17 pm: Edit

I've had a wank in a box, never my sugar pulled though!!! Does it hurt????

By Chefspike (Chefspike) on Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 09:43 pm: Edit

thanks sam,
i still have never heard of a box that helps in sugar work.
then again, it's been years......
manny, it dosen't hurt, but it burns just a little.
kinda nice thou.

By Sam (Sam) on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 08:18 pm: Edit

LOL,LOL, it's just a "fancy" heat lamp w/ plexiglass sides, like a box, keeps the sugar warm enough to pull, not so warm as to liquefy & not so cold that it solidfies...."a wank in your box"???...LOL....sam

By Chefspike (Chefspike) on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 12:58 am: Edit

Manny always gets a wank,
hes in flor-e-da.
the state is full of them
thanks Sam, now i know what you guys have been talking about.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.

See Forum in a Frame