The Caterers Corner
Liability Insurance: Where to Purchase? Caterers Corner: Liability Insurance: Where to Purchase?
By Chefpauls (Chefpauls) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 02:36 pm: Edit

I'm having trouble finding an insurance company for both personal chef & off-premise caterer liability insurance. I'm in NJ. Any suggestions?


By Claridyd (Claridyd) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 05:41 pm: Edit

Try the Hartford or Nationwide. We have had insurance Hartford but we are now with Nationwide.

By Chefmanny (Chefmanny) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:45 am: Edit

Try the personal chef's asociation, they are very helpful. I forget the ladie's name...Candy something, very nice lady...Candy Wallace!!!!!

By Thecateringguy (Thecateringguy) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 03:58 am: Edit

Find out who does the Insurance for a resturante that you like to go to and then ask them for a Quote thats what I did, I work for a McDonald's O/O and talked w/our Insurance Broker they told me this week for a Small business such as mine and if I didn't serve any booze I could get Insurance for $500 a year.....

By Jonesg (Jonesg) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 10:15 pm: Edit

The yellow pages are full of Ins agents, we called one 3 months ago, the guy was here in 30 minutes, came back with a quote $1300 in 1 hr and picked up the check, we had our first event the next day but we were covered as soon as he accepted the check.
Its just that simple.

By Chefmanny (Chefmanny) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 10:19 pm: Edit

$1300.00 for what product exactly????????????????

By Jonesg (Jonesg) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 10:22 pm: Edit

For a retail cafe and offsite catering operation.
Product type doesn't matter, as long as theres no fryolators involved, thats a normal rate here in Boston.

By Chefmanny (Chefmanny) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 07:21 am: Edit

By product I mean the insurance, liability, how much coverage???...for what????
Fire???...water damage??,wind damage,workman's comp???...for how many employees????
You have to ask because if you under insure and you have an accident; will you be covered????
Off premise catering is a different ballgame then a store; what if you burn somebody's house???...God forbid!..but are you sufficiently covered????...or ruin their priceless antique table witht the sterno??

By Jonesg (Jonesg) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 12:55 pm: Edit

" I mean how much coverage???..."

Relax, God's in charge, we have plenty of Ins.
The previous 18 yrs I had a pastry shop and restaurant, my landlord was my insurance agent , so he made sure I was well insured, my rates have increased since we are doing offsite but thats to be expected.
We have 5 mil liability umbrella policy, this sort of Ins is vastly cheaper than the Workmans Compensation ins, thats another ballgame and can easily go $10K and more.
There are ways around that, anyone getting into the game ought to know or they probably won't last too long.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.