The Caterers Corner
permits and licenses Caterers Corner: permits and licenses
By Anna (Anna) on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 07:47 am: Edit

Hi everyone,
I am renting a certified kitchen in NJ, so I have got so much information about permits, that I would like to know opinions from people that has already gone through this.
Once I rent the kitchen do I need to have a lease? (I am renting whenever they have a free spot, so still not on a regular basis)
Where do I go next?, the health dep I guess.....
What kind of pernit do I ask for?
I am baking and cooking for resale, so I need the labeling information.
Any other comments?????
thanks a lot, have a greatday!

By Jonesg (Jonesg) on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 10:51 am: Edit

The retail labeling regs are nuts, try to slide around that until such time as you can decide whether its worth it, there are companies which will do all the legal labels with vitamin breakdowns. Go buy a cookie and see for yourself.
Thats for self serve retail sales, for interstate you might have to do nitrogen packaging to keep the Feds happy.
It depends on the product obviously.

But for wholesale you can just bulk pack them.
Its a no brainer which route is the least hassle and cheaper to boot.

My guess is you are 'tenant at will', if they give you a lease, they are foolish but they might just be...or desperate.
Personally I would just go ahead and start doing what you want to do, its a lot easier to find forgiveness than get permission.
I've been doing it for over 20 yrs.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.