The New Bakers Dozen
Bread question

The The Bakers Dozen: Bread question
By Thebaker (Thebaker) on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 02:33 pm: Edit

If i am making rolls
and I need the finished product to wieght 2 oz
how big should i start with.??


By Cheftim (Cheftim) on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 10:40 pm: Edit

Baker, This is just a guess but I think it's 2 oz.

Why don't you try a test run of slightly diffrent weights and see what comes out? I'm willing to bet that the amount of water lost to the oven is negligible.

When I want 1 1/2# loaves I weigh out 1 1/2#s of dough.


By Pastrycrew (Pastrycrew) on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 02:50 am: Edit

Dough losses weight by giving off gasses and moisture and by a small amount of dough that sticks to the mixer. This amount of loss averages about 2 percent. Dough also losses weight during the proofing, baking and cooling. This loss usually averages about 11 percent. These losses must be taken into consideration when constructing a bread formula. The total percentage loss equals 13 percent.

2 1/4 oz of dough should yield you a 2oz finished roll.


By Thebaker (Thebaker) on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 05:47 am: Edit

thanks ALL!!

By Cheftim (Cheftim) on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 09:02 am: Edit

Thanks, That is a great peice of information to know.


Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.

See Forum in a Frame